FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where can I find a map of the course?
Do you limit the number of runners in each race?
The Northshore Half Marathon & 10 Miler is capped at 2,000.
Will you have pacers?
- The Northshore Half Marathon and 10 Miler will not have pacers. There will be self-seeding in the start corrals. Many seasoned runners maintain consistent pace, so falling in with one of them is an alternative.
Can I have cell phones, friends, strollers, dogs on the course?
- We encourage you to invite friends and family to cheer you on along the course, but they are only allowed to run with you if they are registered runners.
- Per USA Track & Field rules, elements that could impede the safety of runners, such as bikes, strollers, and pets on the course, are not allowed. The safety of our runners is our number one priority. By signing or clicking ’I Accept’ on any Northshore Half Marathon registration race waiver, you are agreeing to abide by the Rules of Competition.
- While we believe that the beauty of the course, entertainment along the route, and conversation with fellow runners makes this race exceptional, cell phones are allowed on course at the runner’s own risk. Any personal property damaged or injury sustained on course due to distraction via cell phone is not the liability of the Northshore Half Marathon, its contractors, owners, volunteers, or sponsors.
Can I wear headphones?
- Participants will be able to use listening devices during the running of the race, but they do so at their own risk. Runner safety is, and will continue to be, the priority for all of our events. To ensure a safe and enjoyable race for everyone, we ask that you please be mindful of the other participants and race personnel.
- You MUST be aware of your surroundings at all times, and this includes being able to hear any verbal warnings/instructions from police/course officials or the sound of any vehicles and other participants on the course. The abuse of portable headphone devices can result in disqualification. Abuse refers to being so distracted that you become a hazard to your fellow participants, spectators, course marshals, finish line officials, medical personnel, other race officials, police personnel, or vehicle traffic.
- Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. We must constantly consider the safety of all our participants, volunteers, and spectators and review this rule as well as others in order to ensure the continued safety of our participants.
Can I switch races?
- The Northshore Half Marathon and 10 Mile races are laid out such that a runner can decide mid-race to turn off at the 10-mile mark, just past the 5-mile marker, to head back to the finish. The race registration costs are the same for both the 10K and Half Marathon. Ideally for results purposes, each runner would register for the race that they plan to run, but we understand that training and injuries occur.
What if I lose something the day of the race?
- Lost & Found is located at registration on race day. After race weekend, please contact email@example.com claim items. Clothing items left in the start areas and along the course are immediately donated to charity.
When does registration open?
- Online registration opens April 8th, 2019 and will close October 25, 2019 at 6:00 pm CST. Race Day registration will be available for $100.
I am injured, pregnant, have a family emergency or unexpectedly out of town, can I get a refund?
- Entry fees are non-refundable and entries are non-transferable. This means once you have registered, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, and you may not give or sell your number to anyone else. Being caught doing so can result in a ban from future events. Exceptions will be made if you are on active military duty and you get deployed. You can send us a copy of your orders, and we will refund your entry fee.
Can I defer my entry?
- Deferrals to next year’s race are available on the registration page.
Can I give/sell my number to another runner?
- Entries are non-transferable. This is for the safety of the runner as well as necessary to satisfy insurance requirements of the event. If a runner collapses or is otherwise injured during the race and is running as someone else, we would not have emergency information available for them. This could result in further injury. In addition, this would be unfair to all of the people who tried to get in legitimately and could not.
Why haven’t I received an email confirmation?
- Check your spam filter. That is usually the problem. Please make sure that the domains @northshorehalfmarathon.com and @getmeregistered.com are on your “allowed senders” list so that your spam filter will not block your confirmation email or any other important notifications.
How can I see if I’m registered?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to check your registration status.
Where does my registration fee go?
- Your registration fee helps to pay for the necessary permits, infrastructure, staffing, insurance, police, awards, SWAG, supplies, bibs, medals, shirts, and chip timing to produce all marathon-related events. Portions of every registration fee is directed to local running groups and other charity partners throughout the year.
PRIZES & AWARDS
Will I receive a medal if I place in my age group?
- In addition to finisher medals awarded for each finisher in each race, there will be specific overall, masters, grand masters, and age group awards for all races.
- The top three finishers for the Half Marathon and the 10 Mile will receive awards in the following categories:
- Overall Male and Female
- Masters (40+) male and female
- Grand Masters (50+) male and female
- Age groups, male and female
When is packet pick-up?
- Thursday October 24, 2019 – TBD
- Friday October 24, 2019 – TBD
- Saturday October 26, 2019 – TBD
- Sunday October 27, 2019 / (Race Site)
Fontainebleau State Park; 5:30am – 6:15am
What do I need to bring with me to pick up my packet?
- Participants must present a government issued ID to pick up race packet. Presenting a copy of the Driver’s License of the runner for which proxy pick up is being done is all that is needed.There are no exceptions to this rule. If you wish to have your packet picked up by proxy a copy of your driver’s license must be presented. You must be 18 years or older to proxy pick up for another runner. Don’t forget to add @northshrehalfmarathon.com and @getmeregistered.com to your approved senders so that you do not this important email in your spam filter.
Can I authorize another person to pick up my race packet?
- If you are unable to get your packet, a friend can pick up your packet with a copy of your photo ID or a copy of your registration confirmation. Digital copies (your cell phone screen) are allowed. Your friend will sign a form stating your race packet was picked up and then be directed to the proper pick up area. Please remember they can only do this at the Expo.
Where can I park at packet pick-up?
Do I need to purchase a timing chip?
- No, we will be using disposable chips that are part of your bib.
How do I make sure I have the right chip?
- Your chip number will coincide with your bib number and will be attached to your bib.
Official time – gun time or chip time?
- Per USA Track & Field rules, your official time is from the starting mats until you cross the finish timing mats. Chip time or net time is provided as a service to you and is accepted by many races, including the Boston Marathon, as a qualifying time. Only the top three male/female finishers of each race will be judged on gun time to determine the winner.
Where do I send my chip if I still have it after the race?
- This is a single-use chip and is good for this event only. The chip will NOT be collected in the finish area. You may keep the chip as a souvenir or deposit it in trash bins in the finish area.
Is there a place to drop bags at the start line?
- The parking lot at Fountainebleau State Park is adjacent to the course start and finish, so please leave all valuables in your vehicle. Gear Check is not available for the Northshore Half Marathon.
Where should I park on Race Day?
- There is plenty of free parking within Fontainebleau State Park. The $2 entry fee to the park is included in entry to the event. Simply follow the parking attendants & signs for parking. If guests arrive after the race has started please be prepared to pay park entrance fee.It is suggested to arrive no later than 1 hr before race.
START & FINISH
Where does the race start and finish?
- The race starts and finishes at Fountainbleau State Park in the turnaround near the waterfront.
Will there be corrals?
- There are no corrals or seeding for the Northshore Half Marathon, but please self-seed accordingly.
How do I get my finisher items after the race?
- Finisher medals will be given out shortly after official finishers cross the finish line.
Where can I meet my family and friends after the race?
- The easiest way to find your family and friends after the race is to have a plan beforehand. The grounds at the Post Race party is the best location to meet up with a friend or family member after the race. You will find a map of the grounds in the Official Race Guide.
COURSE & RULES OF THE ROAD
What is the time limit for the marathon?
- City permits limit the race time to a 4 hour time limit. The course will be closed at a 18:00 minute/mile pace. No race services including medical, aid stations, or traffic control are available beyond this pace.
- The finish line remains open until 11:00 a.m. (assuming an 7:00 a.m. start). Participants must cross the finish line by 11:00 a.m. in order to be considered “official finishers”. After 11:00 a.m., the course and finish line are closed. Late finishers may cross the finish line, but are not guaranteed an official time or a finishers medal.
- Finishing the race by 11:00 a.m. means maintaining an average pace of 18:00 minute/mile. The race course is opened to traffic on a rolling schedule as participants make their way to the finish. In order to ensure safety, a Sweep Vehicle and Bus follows the race route to pick-up participants who are unable to maintain this pace on a consistent basis. Participants are required to board the Sweep Bus when so instructed by Race Officials. Course Marshals are instructed to retrieve bibs of all participants who refuse to board the bus when instructed to do so.
Why is there a time limit?
- In order to comply with city permits, streets crossing the route must be reopened to vehicular traffic on a set schedule.
What happens if my pace is slower than the allotted time?
- If you are caught by the Sweep Vehicle traveling at the 18:00 minute/mile pace, you MUST board the Sweep Bus accompanying this vehicle for transport to the finish area. For your safety, the Mandeville Police Department does not allow runners to continue once the course has been re-opened to traffic. Keep in mind that race services, including water stations and medical aid, will be discontinued once the Sweep Vehicle comes through. The finish line closes at 11:00 a.m. Finisher medals are only guaranteed to those finishing within the allotted time limit.
What is not allowed on the course?
- Many things are not allowed on the course. If you have a question about what is or is not allowed, email us at email@example.com. For the safety of our runners the following is not allowed: going backward, runners not wearing a race number, animals, bicycles, baby joggers, strollers, roller skates, roller blades, hand-crank chairs, wheeled vehicles, push-rim wheelchairs, and any items dragged behind including tires.
- Receiving outside assistance of any kind is not allowed. Outside assistance consists of, but is not limited to: receiving fluids, gels, food or any personal items from someone not serving in an official race capacity; receiving pacing assistance from any person that is not a registered participant of the race.
- Abusive behavior or language directed toward any other participant, volunteer, police officer, or staff member is also not allowed.
- Any of these rules infractions can result in a time penalty or race disqualification. The discretion and final ruling resides with the Race Director.
Is there energy gel available on the course?
- There is no official gel station on the course. Some of the water stations may have nutrition of some sort, but that is at the discretion and availability of each group manning the water stops.
What sports beverage will be on the course?
- Gatorade will be available along the course.
How can I find out if a runner has finished?
- We utilize chip timing and the results link will be posted immediately following the race. We do not have runner tracking capabilities for the 2017 Northshore Half Marathon.
How can I find out if someone has dropped out of the race or is in the Medical Area?
- Check at the Family Medical Information Tent which will be located near the Finish Line, this is a secure runners-only area, but can be accessed from outside the finish chute.
What are the best places to watch the race?
- Fountainbleau State Park is a great place to watch the race with the start and the finish and waterfront views. Along the waterfront in Old Mandeville and along the Tammany Trace are other excellent viewing locations.
Will my road be closed during the marathon?
- Roads along the race course will be closed to thru traffic while runners are present. Police will work with homeowners to make sure they can safely reach their houses or exit as required.